Porcini, Barley & Beluga Lentil Soup
This hearty soup envelopes the goodness of porcini mushrooms, beluga lentils and organic pearl barley. Enjoy this warming and flavoursome recipe on a cold winter evening.
- 20g Gigante dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVO)
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 250g Portobello mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 tsp Sabato porcini powder
- ½ cup Sabato organic tomato sauce with basil
- 1 litre beef or chicken stock
- ¾ cup beluga lentils
- ¾ cup Girolomoni organic pearl barley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put the porcini in a bowl, pour over 1 cup boiling water and set aside to soak for 20 minutes.
Heat EVO in a large heavy-based pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and thyme and cook for 5-8 minutes until vegetables have softened. Slice half the Portobello mushrooms and finely chop the other half (a food processor is handy for this). Add to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Drain the porcini, reserving the liquid, and roughly chop. Add porcini powder, porcini and soaking liquid to the pan. Add the tomato sauce and cook for 1 minute more.
Add the stock and bring to the boil then stir in the lentils and barley. Turn down the heat and simmer gently for 30-35 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender to the bite, adding some water if the soup becomes too thick.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste. Note: it is best to season this soup at the end of cooking time, as salt can toughen lentils and other pulses. Serve with crusty bread on the side.
Recipe by Julie Le Clerc