Ferron No-Stir Risotto
This no-stir method has proven itself to be easy, fail-safe and incredibly delicious. The key to successfully executing this recipe every time is by using authentic Ferron risotto rice. The grains hold their essential starches and vitamins better than the more commercially grown Arborio or Vercelli rice – allowing them to provide a greater yield whilst retaining the individuality of each grain consistently.
Extra virgin olive oil (EVO)
1 medium onion or 3 shallots, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups Ferron risotto rice
100ml white wine, at room temperature (optional)
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, simmering
2 cups hot water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
In a heavy-based saucepan heat a little EVO and sauté the onion and garlic until soft (the ‘soffrito’). Add the rice and stir continuously for about 3 minutes (‘toasting’). Add the wine, then let evaporate. Add all the hot stock and water, stir gently and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
While the risotto is cooking, prepare any other ingredients of your choice.
Once the rice has cooked, add any other ingredients. Season and rest for a few minutes off the heat, then add a generous handful of Parmigiano Reggiano and ‘mantecare’ - stir the risotto off the heat to release the natural starches which make it creamy. Serve with extra Parmigiano.
- Drizzle simply with Giusti balsamic.
- Stir through any of our pestos or pastes.
- Soak dried porcini mushrooms with the hot stock before adding to the rice. Finish the risotto with a dollop of porcini crema or truffle oil.
- Stir through peas or asparagus near the end of cooking and top with crispy pancetta or prosciutto and a drizzle of lemon oil.
- Stir through capers and roasted pumpkin near the end of cooking.
- Infuse the stock with saffron and top with your favourite seafood.